Church of Divine Providence in Kapčiamiestis

Mikalojus Oginskis built a public chapel in Kapčiamiestis in 1724. In 1744 it is mentioned as affiliate church. In the second half of the 18th century a parish was established. From 1777 a parish school was opened. The priest M Guoga, who was appointed to Kapčiamiestis in 1900, started to use Lithuanian language during the services. In 1907, a branch of the “Žiburio” Society (chairman priest Juozas Bridžius) established a library and reading room. On 22 June 1941 the church burnt down. A temporary one was built. In 1956, with the care and support of the parish priest Aleksandras Labanauskas, a new church was built.

The church is rectangular in plan, with a single-aisled porch and apse. The churchyard fence is of stone masonry.