Liškiava (Dominican) Monastery

The first church in Liškiava originates from the beginning of the XVI century. In 1677 the Liskiava estate owner Vladas Jurgis Kosila presented his wealth along with a new wooden church to the Dominicans of Sejny. The Dominicans had to fight for the wealth in the courts, since landowner’s relatives were indisposed to give up the property. In the XVIII century the Dominicans built a monastery and a stone church in Late Baroque style, the latter of which survived to this day. However, in 1808 the church was set afire by lightning. The church has long been known for the miraculous painting of Our Lady located in one of its side altars.